HCL 6/423 Readings in Poetic Texts - Credit Hours: 3
Semester normally offered: Alternate Spring Semesters
A linguistic, literary, textual and exegetical study of biblical Hebrew poetic texts. This course builds on the foundation laid in beginning Hebrew courses. Prerequisite: HCL 6/422
This course fills equivalencies in the following areas:
- Language - Hebrew
By the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- read biblical Hebrew poetic texts with an understanding of how they work;
- have a good understanding of biblical Hebrew grammar & syntax;
- know all of the vocabulary occurring 10 or more times in the Hebrew Bible;
- know how the biblical Hebrew verbal system functions;
- be able to do exegesis of the Hebrew Bible; and
- be capable of doing further research in biblical history and geography that requires interaction with the Hebrew text.
A one-day interactive field study at a site where students can encounter biblical Hebrew texts, such as the Israel Museum or a synagogue.